24 Year Old Arrested in Murder on Predial Way

Sheriff’s Homicide detectives have made an arrest in the shooting death of a man in north Sacramento County early yesterday. Brian Jones, 24, was booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail yesterday afternoon on a charge of murder and a violation of his post-release community supervision status (PRCS). He is ineligible for bail.

Just after 2:00 a.m. today, Sheriff’s deputies responded to the corner of Predial Way and Essence Way regarding calls of shots fired. A man was found in the driver’s seat of a vehicle stopped in the roadway. He had suffered multiple gunshot wounds to his upper body, and was pronounced deceased by paramedics who responded to the scene.

Approximately twenty minutes earlier, a man (presumed to be the aforementioned victim) had called 9-1-1 to report that he was following a vehicle containing two women, one of whom had brandished a firearm at him, off of Elkhorn Boulevard near North Highlands. During that call, the man said another vehicle had pulled alongside him and started shooting at him. That call was then disconnected, with no further response from the complainant.

Deputies responded to the area reported by the 9-1-1 caller, and located the vehicle with two women that he had reported, and another car being driven by Jones. Jones and the women were detained, and interviewed by detectives. In addition, a firearm was later located in the area where deputies had observed Jones driving, just prior to him and the two women being stopped and detained.

Investigation revealed that the 9-1-1 caller (victim) had been involved in a road-rage incident with the two women sometime shortly before he called the Sheriff’s Department. After the women drove away from the location where that encounter took place, the victim followed them in his vehicle. The women drove around the neighborhood, and began to worry when the victim continued to follow them through residential neighborhoods.

Unsure of what to do, one of the women in the car telephoned a male relative of hers (Jones) to ask what course of action they should take. It is believed that Jones then ascertained their whereabouts, and drove his vehicle to find them, with the intention of confronting the victim. Detectives do not believe that this was a conspired event between Jones and the two women, but rather a decision made solely by Jones in response to him receiving the phone call from his relative. The two women were later released, on the belief that they had no criminal culpability in the victim’s death.

Detectives believe that the victim’s contention that a firearm was brandished at him by one of the women is unfounded, as no evidence to corroborate that that took place was discovered throughout the investigation.