Free Tax Preparation for Lower Income Residents

Sacramento, CA – Sacramento County will offer free income tax preparation services for working families earning $50,000 or less in 2012. The service is available at three locations starting Monday, February 4 through Friday, March 30. Appointments can be made by dialing 2-1-1.

Volunteers with the Sacramento Coalition for Working Families, who are also IRS certified tax preparers, will help individuals and families claim the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). This credit is a refundable credit for those with low to moderate earned income, and any other refunds they may qualify for. Tax returns are submitted electronically and refunds are directly deposited into the taxpayer’s bank account within 10 days of filing. The free service saves the cost of using a paid tax preparer or fees charged by rapid-refund lenders.

Families who earned “Earned Income” and adjusted gross income (AGI) must each be less than $46,227 ($51,567 married filing jointly) with three or more qualifying children;

  • $43,038 ($48.378 married filing jointly) with two qualifying children;
  • $37,870 ($43,210 married filing jointly) with one qualifying child;
  • $14,340 ($19,680 married filing jointly) with no qualifying children.

Tax payers can receive up to $6,044 with three or more qualifying children. Other qualifying factors are considered as well. The EITC is considered the most effective anti-poverty tax credit offered by the federal government. “Since the 1999 launch of this program, millions of dollars have been returned to the local economy and to hard-working families,” said Paul Lake, director of the Department of Human Assistance.”

Dates and Locations (All sites are closed on holidays)

  1. 2700 Fulton Ave., Sacramento, 95821
    Monday & Wednesday, 5 – 8 pm
    Saturday, 9 am to 1pm

  2. 2450 Florin Road, Sacramento 95822
    Tuesday & Friday, 5 – 8 pm
    Saturday, 9 am to 1 pm
  3. 5747 Watt Avenue, North Highlands 95660
    Tuesday & Thursday, 5 8 pm
    Saturday, 9 am to 1 pm

What to Bring

  • W-2 forms for all jobs worked in the year 2012
  • Social Security cards for all persons on tax return
  • Valid picture ID
  • 1099-G form if you received unemployment insurance benefits in 2012
  • 1099-INT if you received bank interest in 2012
  • Any statements received from a mortgage company during 2012
  • A copy of your 2011 tax return, if you have one

For more information, call 2-1-1 or visit