Sacramento News Headlines
- What is Slowing the California Housing Recovery?
Sacramento area realtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about why the California and Sacramento housing markets are not expanding as fast as expected. Find out what Julie thinks is contributing to a slower real estate market.
- Multiple Sclerosis Becomes Counselor's Asset
During most of the '70s, Kathe Skinner, now a 65-year-old licensed marriage family therapist in Colorado Springs, Colorado, couldn't figure out what was wrong with her body.
- Forrest Gump in Sacramento at IMAX
Sacramento, Calif. - One of America's most beloved films Forrest Gump: The IMAX Experience opens Sept. 5 at the Esquire IMAX Theatre.
- Bill to Help Disabled Veterans Heads to Governor
A proposal sponsored by George Runner to protect California's disabled veterans cleared the Assembly this week with unanimous, bipartisan support, and now awaits action by Governor Jerry Brown.
- Cheapest Gas Prices in Sacramento
Average retail gasoline prices in Sacramento have fallen 2.8 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $3.79/g yesterday, according to a daily survey of
- California Earthquake Insurance Claims Begin Flooding In
The California Earthquake Authority (CEA) estimates that about 15,000 of its policyholders may have experienced moderate to strong shaking from the M6 American Canyon earthquake
- Cyclocross Grand Prix Coming to West Sacramento
The inaugural West Sacramento Cyclocross Grand Prix is taking place on Saturday, September 6, starting at 10:15 a.m. This community event brings together cyclocross
- Honda Offers Appealing New Accord Plug-in Hybrid
Honda welcomed a new addition to its lineup for 2014: say hello to the Honda Accord Plug-in Hybrid. The new addition makes Honda one of the few automakers to offer
- Sample the Sierra Festival at South Lake Tahoe
Foodies and wine lovers alike will gather in South Lake Tahoe this Labor Day weekend as Sample the Sierra celebrates its 5th anniversary on
- Police Crackdown on Motorcycle Safety Laws
Officers will be looking for violations made by drivers and riders alike that can lead to motorcycle crashes. They will be cracking down on both standard vehicle operators and motorcyclists who violate laws against
- California Capital Airshow September 6 & 7
The ninth annual California Capital Airshow, presented by Sacramento County, lands at Mather Airport on September 6 and 7.
- Phone Scammers Posing as Sheriff's Department
The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department is issuing a warning to the public regarding a sophisticated telephone scam that has continued to surface locally.
- Weekend DUI Checkpoints Planned
The Rancho Cordova Police Department Traffic Unit will be conducting a DUI/Drivers License Checkpoint on August 22nd, 2014 at an undisclosed location within the Rancho Cordova city limits
- Oversight Committee Applicants Sought for Transportation Authority
The Sacramento Transportation Authority (STA) is looking for applicants with finance or transportation planning backgrounds to fill two upcoming vacancies on the Measure A Independent Taxpayer Oversight Committee.
- Carbon Pollution Limits Can Help Save Lives and Improve Health
Few things are more frightening for a parent than racing to the hospital with a child who can't breathe
- Water Bond Gets Support from Sacramento Supervisors
Members of the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors have expressed support for a statewide water bond headed for the November ballot which they believe will address state and regional water needs
- Kings Sign Center Sim Bhullar
The Sacramento Kings have signed center Sim Bhullar to a contract, according to Kings General Manager Pete D'Alessandro. Per team policy, terms of the deal were not disclosed
- 57 Choruses Seeking Singers in Sacramento Region
The fall choral season is about to start and at least 57 choruses throughout the Sacramento region are seeking new members
- Faith Plays Big Role with Mom
Every now and then, a person featured here attributes faith as pivotal in their being able to cope with disability-one in themselves or family members
- Gas Prices Under $3 Gallon Coming Soon?
Average retail gasoline prices in Sacramento have fallen 3.4 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $3.79/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy's daily survey of 720 gas outlets
- Housing: Could Be Easier For Renters To Buy
Sacramento area Realtor, Julie Jalone of MagnumOne Realty in Roseville, writes about a recent article which advocates adding rental payments to credit scores to help renters qualify for a mortgage.
- Hyundai Equus: An Affordable Luxury Sedan
However, there's no doubting that if Hyundai created a luxury division it could slip in these two classy sedans - Equus, Genesis - and no one would question why.
- 2 Motorcyclists Killed in High Speed Crash
A 23 year old male from Roseville was riding a 2006 Suzuki motorcycle and a 29 year old male from Rio Linda was riding a 2003 Yamaha motorcycle side by side
- Abandoned Boats on the Delta
Abandoned watercraft within the Sacramento waterways are defined as any watercraft that is inoperative and neglected, submerged or partially submerged or that has been left by the owner without intent
- Woman Dies in Back of Police Car
At approximately 2:40pm on August 14, 2014, the Sheriff's Department received a call from a concerned citizen regarding a female acting erratically near the 400 block of K Street in Rio Linda.
- Drexel Announces New Online Doctoral Education Program
SACRAMENTO - Drexel University Sacramento announced today it will offer a Creativity and Innovation concentration this fall as part of its Doctoral program in Educational Leadership and Management.
- Wine Country Cat Club to Host Pet Cat Show
The Mid-Pacific region All Breed and Household Pet Cat Show is August 16-17 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at the air-conditioned McClellan Conference Center at 5411 Luce Avenue in McClellan Business Park
- 26 Year Old Orangevale Man Sentenced in Child Porn Case
Anthony Nail, 26, of Orangevale, was sentenced on Friday by United States District Judge Garland E. Burrell Jr. to five years and 10 months in prison for receipt and distribution of child pornography
- Life in Prison for Drive By Shooting Murder
Michael Almeda and Rudy Villa were sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for first-degree murder.
- California Gas Prices Drop...Again
Average retail gasoline prices in Sacramento have fallen 3.6 cents per gallon in the past week, averaging $3.83/g yesterday, according to GasBuddy's daily survey of 720 gas outlets
- Robin Williams, Actor and Comedian Dead of Suspected Suicide
On August 11, 2014, at approximately 11:55 am, Marin County Communications received a 9-1-1 telephone call reporting a male adult had been located unconscious and not breathing inside
- Observing Brain Synapses in Action
Lin Tian's fascination with neuroscience stems from a deep curiosity about the complexity and elegance of the human brain. As one of only five scientists in the U.S. and Canada
- Teen with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Becomes Advocate
After my infant and toddler years in Mt. Orab, Ohio, I grew up reading the Georgetown (Oh.) News Democrat. This week, I feature a person from Mt. Orab that reads this column
- Police to Step Up Patrols in Business District
The Rancho Cordova Police Department is creating a partnership with the business community along the Folsom Boulevard/Olson Drive/Zinfandel Drive (FOZ) Business
- Kia Sorento Continues to Make Improvements
Three years ago, the Kia Sorento redesign transformed this midsize sport utility vehicle from a truck-based model to a car-like crossover. The result:
- Palmer Turned TBI Into Asset
Mark Palmer of Sacramento, California, read my column a couple weeks ago concerning a man who experienced a traumatic brain injury (TBI). Palmer emailed to tell his own TBI story
- August Fun at Sacramento Museums
Imagine. Explore. Discover. In addition to its fascinating Gold Rush past, the Sacramento area is rich with an amazing array of state-of-the-art museums and historic sites
- New Hyundai Genesis a very appealing sedan
Although Hyundai doesn't have a "luxury" tag on its vehicles, there's no doubt that the 2015 Genesis could legitimately slip into that category among midsize sedans.
- Sacramento Man Arrested following Tahoe Pursuit
Placer County Detectives arrested 20 year-old Michael Anthony Potter of Sacramento, California on numerous charges including burglary, possession of stolen property, conspiracy, evading officers, and possession of a stolen vehicle.
- Autism and Fragile X Participants sought for Memory Study
The UC Davis MIND Institute is seeking participants for a study examining the benefits of a computer-based, game-oriented training program for enhancing working memory