Sacramento News Headlines
- Cocaine Conspiracy and Bribery: Yuba City Police Officer Indicted
A federal grand jury returned a four-count indictment against Gursharan Phagura, 39, and Harminder Phagura, 35, both residents of Yuba City
- Sacramento Public Library featured in National Geographic's Proof
National Geographic's PROOF photography blog has published photographs of homeless readers at the Sacramento Public Library.
- Cinco de Mayo: Avoid DUI with Free Uber Ride
CHP North Sac is partnering with Uber, the app that connects riders and drivers, to offer free rides to new users.
- Marides Helps Others with Disabilities
In both 2014 and 2015, now 50-year-old Hillary Marides, of Los Angeles, California, was first runner-up in the Ms. Wheelchair California competition
- Amendment Targets Fed Water Policy in California
The House of Representatives adopted an amendment by Congressman Tom McClintock to forbid federal agencies from buying up scarce water
- Study: Electricity Consumption Increases with Automatic Bill Payment
The adage "out of sight, out of mind" applies to electricity use, according to new research from Duke University's Sanford School of Public Policy
- Sac Gas Prices Surge: Where to Find Best Deals
Average retail gasoline prices in Sacramento have risen 27.3 cents per gallon in the past week,
- Mazda CX-5 SUV is a Winner
Mazda definitely made a wise move several years ago, introducing the CX-5 in hopes that it would fare better than its low-selling predecessors
- 50 Days of the Grateful Dead: Not Fade Away
This oft-covered Buddy Holly classic from September 3, 1977 at Raceway Park in Englishtown N.J. find the Dead in blistering form in front of an estimated 125,000 fans
- Donald Null Joins UC Davis as Director of NCIU
Donald M. Null, an internationally renowned expert in neonatal ventilation, has joined the faculty of the UC Davis School of Medicine as medical director of the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
- Genetic Mystery Solved: Vitamin A Deficiency and Eye Deformities
Researchers at the University of Michigan and UC Davis have solved a genetic mystery that has afflicted three unrelated families, and possibly others, for generations
- 41 Year Old Sought in Stabbing Death
The Sacramento Police Department is asking for the community's help in locating a murder suspect.
- 3 Ways To Look At Death Differently
Fear & Close-mindedness Are Arguably The Real Tragedy Of Death, Says Franciscan Renaissance Man
- DUI Checkpoint in North Sacramento May 5th
The California Highway Patrol (CHP), North Sacramento Area, announces a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Sobriety Checkpoint
- Time to Abolish California's Income Tax?
The last thing overtaxed Californians need is another tax. Yet the Legislature continues to churn out new taxes that, once enacted, rarely go away.
- California Family Fitness Ride-a-Thon Fundraiser
California Family Fitness Ride-a-Thons to Help Local Students Give Back to Leukemia & Lymphoma Society
- Girl Scouts Receive $15,000 from Intel for STEM Initiative
Girl Scouts Heart of Central California (GSHCC) was awarded a $15,000 sponsorship from Intel to support a Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
- The Imperative of Closing the Immunization Gap
Both of us have seen firsthand just how essential vaccines are to saving children's lives. One, as a physician and former chief medical officer of Sacramento County, Calif., has implemented
- 9 CAL FIRE Firefighters Receive Medal of Valor
Recently, nine CAL FIRE firefighters received the prestigious State of California Governor's Medal of Valor award for acts of heroism extending above and beyond
- Honda CR-V: Revised Crossover Remains a Great Buy
Still the top-selling compact SUV, the Honda CR-V remains an appealing vehicle for car shoppers.
- Emergency Fishing Closure on Sacramento River Begins
Fish and Game Commission Approves Emergency Fishing Closure on Part of Upper Sacramento River
- Oil Prices and Refineries Push Gas Up
Oil prices are up, refineries are troubled and consumers are paying at the pump. California residents are among the hardest hit.
- Man Killed in Shooting on Lampasas Avenue
On Sunday, April 26, 2015, at approximately 2:58 p.m., officers responded to the 700 block of Lampasas Avenue regarding a report of an assault and shots fired
- Prostate Cancer: Survival Rates Grim for this Group
Since the prostate specific antigen (PSA) test was introduced in the late 1980s, prostate cancer mortality has dropped by more than 40 percent
- Woman Shot: Standoff and Arrest on Madison Avenue
Jeremiah Hankins, 35, has been transported to the Sacramento County Main Jail where he has been booked on five felony charges including attempt murder, assault with a deadly
- Fatal Shooting on Cookingham Way Under Investigation
The Sacramento Police Department received a report of a male adult suffering from a gunshot wound, near the 200 block of Cookingham Way.
- 4 Rules For Hiring & Retaining Your Best Employees
Exorbitant student loans constitute just one reason why young people eager to experience the world may want to reconsider college, says Ed Basler, a veteran entrepreneur.
- Cap to Cap Updates
On Wednesday, April 22nd, more than 320 civic, business and government leaders from the Sacramento region had the unique opportunity to hear Congressional representatives discuss
- ADHD and Nonverbal Learning Disorder
He has ADHD, but most of his problems are with his Nonverbal Learning Disorder
- Free Start Smart Class for New Drivers in North Sac
The CHP's Start Smart program is a driver safety education class which targets new and future licensed teenage drivers between the age of 15 -19 and their parents/guardians.
- Farms, Friends and Fairytales May 16th
Fairytale Town's friendly barnyard animals will take center stage at the storybook park's eighth annual Farms, Friends and Fairytales program on Saturday, May 16
- 28 Year Old Arrested in Watt Avenue Murder
Juan V. Avalos, 28, of Sacramento, has been arrested and booked into the Sacramento County Main Jail on a charge of murder
- Honda Civic: A Very Smart Buy
Much like its bigger brother - the Accord - the Honda Civic is no longer undisputed king of the hill.
- Kia Sedona Minivan Delivers More in Redesigned Version
Kia redesigned its minivan and didn't hesitate to make some significant changes. Borrowing a time-honored line when it comes to remodeling, the 2015 Kia Sedona arrived new and improved.
- 4 Ways Parents Can Promote Positive Behavior In School
Word arrives from school that the parent's child is in trouble. Maybe it was a minor offense and the student simply faced a trip to the office
- Avengers: Age of Ultron in IMAX 3D
Marvel Studios presents Avengers: Age of Ultron An IMAX 3D Experience, the epic follow-up to the biggest Super Hero movie of all time.
- Ground Operations: Battlefields to Farmfields
The California Grange is hosting a series of screenings of the award-winning documentary, Ground Operations: Battlefields to Farmfields throughout Northern California
- Santa Cruz American Music Festival May 23 & 24
Santa Cruz American Music Festival this Memorial Day weekend, May 23rd & 24th, at Aptos Village Park in Aptos, California
- Mad Hatter Meets The Great Gatsby Party on April 23
Fairytale Town mixes the zaniness of the Mad Hatter with the glamor of "The Great Gatsby" in its third annual offsite fundraising event
- 3 Helpful Insights for Publishing Authors
By mid-2014, self-published authors began taking home the bulk of all ebook author earnings generated on Amazon.com, while authors published by all of the Big Five publishers